Saturday 28 January 2023

The Talented Damma :D

Today while lazying around on a relatively slow Saturday, I was wondering what to do. I was standing by my window. I noticed my potato plants and remembered that it was from my grandmother that I first learnt how easy it is to grow potatoes. While my first two attempts at growing them had not been successful at all, the third attempt this year seems to have finally reaped some results. Third time is a charm, I suppose. 

Anyway, while feeling excited about my potatoes, I got to thinking about all the different things that I have learnt from my grandmother over the years. Be it gardening hacks, making her famous mutton curry and pulao, knitting, embroidering, there are so many things that I have learnt or tried to learn from her. My grandmother is an extraordinary woman. She is the kind of woman who usually does not appear in the limelight but is always taking care of everything quietly behind the stage. She always thoughtfully makes everyone's favourites when they are in town or when it is a special occasion. When my parents came to visit me last month, she sent my favourite pickle. When I visit her, she always remembers to make her delicious cabbage dish which, in my opinion, nobody in the family can make yet (I have tried and tried but it is never the same). For my elder brother, whenever he is visiting, she always makes Malpua (a crusty pancake sort of thing soaked in sugar syrup). Other than this, she makes all the season's specials without fail. If you visited her during winter, you can count on finding Gajar-ka-Halwa in the fridge.     

There are lots of things about my grandmother that I admire. Not just my grandmother, my grandfather too. My grandparents have had a life full of adventure, challenges, victories and experiences which I wish I could preserve and share. I have always wanted to write a book capturing the lives of my grandparents and the amazing stories that I have heard from them over the years. Unfortunately, I am not much of a writer and I have not yet been able to make much progress as far as the book is concerned. 

Maybe one day I will have it all down. Earlier today, my mother told me that my grandmother has caught a cold and is not feeling so well. I felt like doing something nice for her and found myself wishing that I had made more progress on the book. However, until I do, I thought I will write this little piece acknowledging everything that my grandmother is and everything that I have learnt from her. <3   


1 comment:

  1. She also makes lonkar achaar for me 👌❤️

    ReplyDelete